Friday, January 13, 2012

It's cold enough to crack a stone


That's what they say when it's very cold here (geler à pierre fendre).

It is cold,
but it's my husband,
not the cold,
been doing the rock cracking around here.
(In French, rock cracking
- casser des cailloux -
is an idiomatic expression for
working hard.)
To the right, you can see where he,
rock cracking all the way,
has exposed
the backbone of our back room,
the summit of the vaulted cellar upon which
this half of the house is built.

Someday soon, it will be the living room.

Since you can't get a car down our street,
once the rocks are cracked,
rock cracking all the way,
my husband hauls everything out in buckets.

Other good French expressions involving rocks are "sad as a stone" and "bald as a stone,"
but they,
thank goodness,
do not apply here.

2 comments:

Howard Shepherd said...

I read your post just before going out to hit the rockpile this morning. We were hoping for a snow day today, but although it is finally cold enough to crack a stone, no snow.

So, work looms before me like a piece of gravel in my shoe. Hope I have the stones to make it through the day!

Howard Shepherd said...

(BTW--I just realized that the image of work "loom[ing] before me like a piece of gravel in my shoe" is a very badly mixed metaphor. Maybe I should have said that work insinuates itself...)